Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

I love Halloween! It has become tradition to begin celebrating it as soon as October begins. This year, my roommate and I decorated our apartment with spiders, webs, paper-made bats and pumpkins. Not only do I love costumes and a slight bit of fear (but not too scary!), but I am completely obsessed with anatomy. I love that nearly everywhere I go during the month of October, I find skeletons and such.

Did you know that when we are born, we have about 300 bones in our structure? As we grow some of these bones ossify (or become joined) and we are left with approximately 206. I say approximately because there are a few differences in each of us that cause some folks to have an extra bone or an extra joining. For example: I was born with cranial synostosis and a few of the bones in my cranium are fused into one bone.

Cats and dogs have more bones than we do, A cat comes in at 244 bones and a dog around 320. I suppose these extra bones are primarily found in their tails.

I hope that you enjoy the day today and have many laughs with your family and friends as you celebrate the coming of the cold. Happy Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment